Today Shaare Zion Congregation has over 850 families who sit together, pray together and stand on the Bimah together.
Just as your families have evolved, so too has our congregation.
Our story begins in the early 20s when some 100 Jewish families set up residence in Montreal. Amongst them were a handful of diligent, dedicated, eager and zealous men who confidently resolved to establish a synagogue to satisfy the religious needs of a growing Jewish constituency. Shaare Zion Congregation became a legally incorporated body on March 24, 1926, when it received its charter from the Province of Quebec. In the course of three years, as the number of Jewish residents in Notre Dame de Grace grew, they quickly realized that the increasing number of worshippers required larger quarters. Victoria Hall in Westmount became the improvised synagogue for Shabbat and Holiday services.
In1939 the synagogue was destroyed by fire and the present site was purchased shortly thereafter. The first High Holyday services took place September 1947 at Shaare Zion's present home on Cote St. Luc Road.
In 1976, a resolution instituted family (mixed) seating to commence on the High Holydays of 1976 and was overwhelmingly endorsed by the membership.
In 2000, Shaare Zion Congregation became the first Conservative congregation in Montreal where women were counted in the Minyan, permitted to have Aliyot, read from the Torah and chant the Haftarah. Shaare Zion remains the only Conservative congregation in Montreal where women are counted in the Minyan.